A series of engagement and outreach events in the Lanesboro area the week of July 7, 2020
Annie Mack of Rochester, MN is a prolific performer and celebrated blues and gospel vocalist who performs with soul and conviction. She believes in the importance of inspiring others by sharing her story of perseverance, purpose and ultimately joy through music and outreach. Mack will cultivate opportunities for exchange and mutual understanding through songwriting, music making and storytelling activities that engage a broad range of people at the school and spaces throughout town in order to help mitigate barriers to participation.
Annie Mack will bring to Lanesboro a background of doing storytelling and music making workshops with women overcoming adversity, creating enrichment events for youth of incarcerated parents with Next Chapter Ministry, and public speaking on a variety of topics in Rochester and Minneapolis public schools. Mack uses her music to advocate for the power of creativity to bring people together and overcome barriers. Her experience as a female person of color brings a needed voice and perspective to rural southeast Minnesota through storytelling and music specifically when singing blues & gospel. Based in Rochester with roots in Minneapolis, Annie Mack began her musical career fairly recently. “After my mother passed away, the thing that really stood out to me was to do something that you like before you leave this life.” Inspired by her mother’s love of music, she began singing in remembrance of her, but never intended to be in the place she is now, pursuing music professionally.
Annie Mack has built a reputation for writing meaningful, relate-able and inspirational songs. A dynamic vocalist and charismatic performer, she takes the audience on a journey from velvet lined melodic depths to gritty, full bodied church hollers.
- Annie will visit the Surprise Sculpture (12 p.m. – 2 p.m.) and Open Studio (3 p.m. – 5 p.m.) sessions on Tuesday, July 7 to help lead artmaking projects while sharing her experiences as a working artist with participants. Learn more about summer education programs at Lanesboro Arts.
- On Thursday, July 9, Annie will give a mini-performance at Kenilworth Apartments, following SEMCAC Senior Dining at 11 a.m. Learn more about SEMCAC Senior Dining.
- Annie will participate in a public Creativity Workshop at the High Court Loft on Thursday, July 9 at 6:30 p.m.
- The regular Open Mic Night at High Court Pub is taking place on Thursday, July 9 following the workshop and Annie is staying to share music and stories. Learn more about High Court Pub.
- Annie will visit the pre-school classroom of 3 – 5 year olds at Lanesboro Child Care Center the morning of Friday, July 10.
- On Saturday, July 11, Annie will present a capstone concert with her full band in the St. Mane Theatre at 7:30 p.m. Learn more.
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through an Arts Tour grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund.