“Twins” is the theme of the next “Over the Back Fence” Community Variety Show presented by Lanesboro Arts on Friday, October 11th at 7:30 p.m. at the St. Mane Theatre in downtown Lanesboro. Songs like “Let’s Get Together” and “When You’re Smiling, along with skits by twin parents Steph & Drew Hatzenbihler and twin sisters Bonnie Jean & Bettie Jane, will each be part of a doubly fun evening that also includes jokes, stories and sing-alongs.
October’s show features musical guest Ilika Ward a folk-blues duo out of Minnesota, hailing from both Minneapolis and Rochester. Armed with acoustic guitars and sibling-like vocal harmonies, Ilika Ward’s songwriting is one part modern folk, one part throwback to the sounds of the 1960’s folk revival. Their debut record “Many Faces” encompasses the sound they’ve been crafting over the decade and a half they’ve made music together.
The upcoming show also features special guest Al Batt, a writer, speaker, storyteller and humorist from Hartland, Minnesota. His popular humor and nature column has appeared in countless newspapers, including the Bluff Country Reader, for many years. Author of the book, “A Life Gone to the Birds,” Batt is a columnist for “Bird Watcher’s Digest” and has also written for a number of other magazines and books. He received the Ed Franey Conservation Media Award from the Izaak Walton League and the Thomas Sadler Roberts Award from the Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union for lifetime contributions to birding. Al speaks to anyone who will listen, including his two wonderful neighbors — both named Bruce — who live across the road from each other. His mother “thinks he is special.”
Host Damon Prestemon continues to propel the 25th season forward with his rapid-fire wit and keen improvisational instincts that keep the show fresh and fun. Nathan Davidson and the CBB Jazz Combo, a quintet comprised of some of the region’s finest jazz musicians, will serve as this month’s house band, accompanying the all-volunteer cast throughout the show. Doors open for seating at 7 p.m. with Nathan Davidson and the CBB Jazz Combo also providing pre-show musical entertainment beginning at 7:10 p.m.
The shows are held monthly on the 2nd Fridays of March-November.
Interested in participating on stage? Contact Kara at Lanesboro Arts: email@example.com or 507-467-2446 x3
Over the Back Fence airs on KQAL 89.5 FM at 6pm on the Wednesday following the 2nd Friday show. Over the Back Fence is also published online as a podcast. Click here to download or stream Over the Back Fence.
- The St. Mane Theatre box office will open at 6:30 p.m. the day of the show. Tickets will also be sold in-person beginning at that time.
- New in 2019: Each ticket purchased with a bank card will be charged an additional processing fee of $0.99. Patrons can avoid this processing fee by paying via cash or check in the Lanesboro Arts Gallery, or before the show in the St. Mane Theatre lobby.
- If you are unable to purchase tickets online or need additional assistance, you may try calling 507-467-2446 to purchase a ticket over the phone during business hours. Tickets are also sold in-person during business hours at Lanesboro Arts Gallery.
- We will have a list of the names of tickets buyers at the box office beginning at 6:30 p.m. If the buyer and their guests arrive together, no physical receipt or proof of purchase is needed in order to be admitted to the event–we will have a list!
- Alternatively, attendees can present a printed copy of the ticket PDF the ticket buyer was e-mailed or simply pull it up and present it on a smart device.
- Lanesboro Arts is committed to accessibility for all people. Learn more about our access services.
Special thanks to our 2019 sponsors:
Batstone CPA, The Bite Restaurant, Bluff Country Computer Works, Cedar Valley Resort, E2 Boutique, Estelle’s Eatery & Bar, F & M Community Bank, Granny’s Liquor, Great River Shakespeare Festival, Green Gables Inn, High Court Pub, Lanesboro Area Community Foundation, Lanesboro Arts, Lanesboro Public Library, Manion Law Office, Merchants Bank, Niagara Cave, Nutrien Ag Solutions, Old Barn Resort, Pedal Pushers Café, Randy Schultz Drywall, Rushford – Preston – Harmony Foods IGA, SMG Web Design and Thrivent Financial – Walter Bradley